Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Backstage Pass, yeah I stole that title. *hangs head with a devilish smile*

It's no secret (unless you don't know me and soon you'll know anyhow so this is a pretty irrelevant interjection)

1. I love art
2. I love music (which is art so then number 3 should really be 2.5 right?) to avoid confusion I'll go with
3. I love books

Is it possible to combine these 3 loves into 1 amazingly cool (*toot toot* that was my horn) blog? Why yes, yes it is, and if I'd ever stop rambling long enough to get to the point you would see just how feasible a feat it is. Hey, don't roll your eyes at me!

Drumroll please...I said drumroll, come on!
Today I introduce you to not 1, but 2 so purely awesome books they made my face melt (ok, that last part is not true, moving right on along...)


First up, this book doesn't skip a beat Backstage Pass Rock & Roll Photography.  Great Googly Moogly this book is an epic photographic collection of Rockstars from Carl Perkins to Courtney Love (yes, I put those two names in the same sentence) taken by equally epic photographers (to name just two, Kate Simon & Laura Levine). These are not your 'teeny bopper' poster on the wall images. These are real portraits, of real people who happen to be artists, taken by real artists who happen to be photographers. There are some pretty great essays as well. So, if you don't check this book out, you'll never be able to forgive yourself, really, it's that great. Take a look here: Amazon or Check it out from your local library like I did, but I highly recommend purchasing it!





Next, (just when you thought it couldn't get any better) THIS is GONNA HURT MUSIC, PHOTOGRAPHY and LIFE THROUGH the DISTORTED LENS  of NIKKI SIXX. What?? You didn't know Nikki Sixx was a photographer? Oh yes, yes he is, and a seriously good (ok, great) one too! This book is fantastic, deep, and beautiful, both photographically & poetically. The range of pure, raw emotion of the words and imagery are both inspiring and humbling. Pick this book up at all cost, it's a deal! No review would do it justice, just go, now (well, after you finish reading and/or commenting *hint*) Take a look here: Amazon or Check it out from your local library! P.S. Nikki, (I mean Mr. Sixx) if you read this: A signed copy would Freakinrock (yeah, I am pretty sure that IS one word).
Bonus so cool, you might shoot blood from your eyes (too much?): This book is so RAD it has it's own soundtrack. Yup, you heard me right. Seriously, check this out: SIXX:AM This is Gonna Hurt. Click me to Look/Listen.


Last but not least, pretty much the coolest song on the planet (as far as this post is concerned anyhow ;)
Enjoy!


All photos in this post were taken by ME (except the photos in the video) So, please don't steal 'em! Of course, they are photos of books with photos in them so, um, heck...did I do something wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment