Friday, September 2, 2011

One Summer Day

  
I'll be the first to admit (like it's not ridiculously obvious), it's H-O-T (hot) out there! (Boy, is it ever hot out there, ugh.) Summer has been brutal this year! (BRUTAL, did I say that already?) I am also a firm believer that the heat of a Texas summer is so traumatizing that we block it from our minds the second the temps drop below 90. This in turn makes the next years Summer heat feel even worse, thus turning our brains to mush for the next 9 months (okay, maybe summer isn't quite 9 months long). In fact, I personally dislike, hate, ok, despise Texas Summers so much I prefer to pretend that they doesn't exist, especially toward the end, you know when everybody else is getting all those cold fronts  and the stores are packing in all the Fall merchandise. Ok, Ok, enough opining about the nasty (last one promise) Texas Summers. I really DO love Texas! I even love saying "I love Texas"! Ok, everybody together now..."I ...(too much?)
The problem, I have come to realize, is that I spend so much time fretting over "the dog days," that I seemingly miss out on the beauty of it. (What an ungrateful wretch I have been!) You'd probably be right if you assumed that my days of 'Summer Loathing' (Did ya get that Grease reference? Yup, BIG fan) are anything but far behind me, but I would like to give a BIG 'shout out' to my wonderful son, without whom I would have never stopped to smell the proverbial roses! There is a certain innocence most of us tend to leave somewhere in our childhood. So for him, I will try to remember Summer a little more like this and I will preserve as many of those memories for him as I possibly can.  (Oooooo, she's startin' to get all sappy now...CUT).





 
  
  
Enjoy your Labor Day Weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment